We have a big Indian grocery store nearby. I love buying few veggies from there which are rarely available in other shops. This time, I bought drumstick leaves from there and enjoyed preparing different dishes. Drumstick leaves has lot of health benefits. Its a good source of Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Calcium and anti oxidants. It helps in the well functioning of heart, eyes and nerves system.
Drumstick leaves add a nice taste to the dishes. I love to prepare delicious Sambar, Stir fry, Dal, Tambli, etc, using these leaves. Let me share Drumstick Leaves - Tomato Sambar recipe today. Its quite easy to prepare, and tastes awesome with rice.
Time required: 30 minutes
Servings: 3 - 4
Difficulty level: Medium
- Toor dal - 1 cup (1 cup = 50 grams)
- Moong dal - 2 tbsp
- Drumstick leaves - 1 cup
- Tomato - 1
- Salt to taste
- Sugar / jaggery (optional) - 1/4 tsp
- Tamarind - 1 1/2 tsp or to taste
- Onion (optional) - 1 small
- Water - 5 cups approx
Masala for grinding:
- Dry red chillies - 3 (adjust according to spiciness required)
- Fenugreek seeds - 3/4 tsp
- Coriander seeds - 2 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 3/4 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 3/4 tsp
- Asafoetida / Hing - Big pinch
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Oil - 1 1/2 tsp
- Fresh grated / desiccated coconut - 3 tbsp
- Chop tomato into medium size pieces.
- Wash toor dal and moong dal together in clean water. Cook them till soft by adding few drops of oil, pinch of turmeric and 4 cups of water or as required. I have pressure cooked them till 3 whistles.
- Roast all the ingredients except coconut in oil. Add grated coconut and tamarind with roasted spices and grind them into a smooth paste. Add water as required.
- Add drumstick leaves and chopped tomato to the cooked dal. Add 1 cup of water, salt and sugar / jaggery for taste. Boil it for 5 minutes.
- Add the ground masala paste and allow it to boil for 8 - 10 minutes. After boiling for 6 - 7 minutes, add the chopped onions. Boil it for 3 - 4 more minutes and turn off the flame.
- Serve this delicious Sambar along with hot rice and Papad.