Different kinds of leafy vegetables are part of our healthy diet. They are good source of various nutrients and taste delicious as well. One among those leaves is Amaranth Leaves. We buy it often from the vegetable market. Amaranth leaves are a good source of calcium, iron and vitamins. They are good for preparing stir fry, sambar, hashi, saasive and other side dishes.
Below is the recipe of Amaranth Leaves Stir Fry / Harive Soppina Palya..
Preparation Time: 20 - 25 minutes
Difficulty level: Medium
- Amaranth leaves / Harive soppu - 1 bunch
- Dry red chillies - 2 or 3 (adjust according to taste)
- Urad dal - 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Asafoetida / Hing - a pinch
- Turmeric powder - 1/8 tsp
- Cooking oil - 3 tbsp
- Grated coconut - 1/2 cup
- Salt to taste
- Amchur powder - for taste
- Jaggery / sugar - 1/4 tsp or according to taste (see Tips)
- Onion (optional) - 1
- Wash the amaranth leaves in clean water thoroughly. Chop them finely. Include the tender stems also while chopping.
- Heat the oil a heavy bottom pan. Add broken red chillies, urid dal and roast them for a minute. When the urid dal turns into light brown color, add mustard seeds and asafoetida.
- When the mustard seeds start crackling, add the turmeric powder and saute it once. Now add the chopped amaranth leaves and mix it well. Quickly find the broken red chillies in them which are crunchy after frying, powder them coarsely using your fingers or with the help of laddle. Add the powdered chillied back to the seasoned mixture.
- Cover the lid and allow the mixture to cook on medium flame. No need to add any water, since the water content in the leaves will be enough for cooking them.
- Stir the mixture regularly. Once the leaves are almost cooked, add salt, amchur powder and jaggery / sugar for taste.
- Add grated coconut after 2 - 3 minutes. Also add the chopped onion, if using. I have added onion here.
- Cook it for 5 more minutes and turn off the flame.
- This stir fry tastes delicious with rice, chapathi or poori.
- Add only 1/4 tsp of jaggery / sugar for this stir fry if you don't want to make it sweet. If you like sweet taste, add more jaggery / sugar according to taste. And if making it sweet in taste, don't add onion.