After coming back from work, having a cup of hot tea blended with spices is my Hubby's daily routine. We all would like to have some snacks along with evening tea, with lot of talk and laughter since it is the relaxing time for us! Me and Hubby prefer home made snacks all the time and so, I maintain at least 2 - 3 varieties of snacks in my pantry most of the time. Just like every other kid, my daughter also loves the store bought biscuits and snacks. So, we buy her favorite snacks sometimes from the stores.
Cornflakes Mixture is one of the tea time snacks which I prepare. We do buy plain cornflakes to make breakfast on lazy days, but most of the time I will use it for making the Mixture. This mixture is easy to make and goes well with your cuppa tea!
Preparation time: 5 - 10 minutes
Servings: 15 approx
Difficulty level: Easy
- Plain Cornflakes (Breakfast cornflakes) - 5 cup (measured in big cup)
- Groundnut - 1/2 cup
- Almonds - 3 tbsp
- Broken cashews - 1/8th cup or more
- Raisins - 20
- Dalia split - 3 tbsp
- Urid dal - 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Masala powder - 1 1/2 tsp or to taste
- Curry leaves - 1 strand
- Oil - 10 to 11 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Powdered sugar - 1 1/2 tsp or for taste
- Cornflakes can be used directly if its crispy. Else, you need to toast them on low flame or oven - roast them for few minutes till it becomes crispy.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan. Add almonds and ground nuts and saute for 2 - 3 minutes.
- Add the broken cashews and saute for a minute. Then add raisins, split dalia, urid dal and mustard seeds. Once the mustard seeds start crackling, add turmeric powder. Saute them till raisins puff up.
- Then add curry leaves and saute for a minute. Add the Masala Powder and turn off the flame.
- Add salt and sugar powder for taste.
- Fold in the cornflakes and mix everything nicely. Check and adjust the taste, it required.
- Transfer the Mixture onto an air tight container and use as required.
- Cornflakes mixture is a perfect snack for tea time. This mixture goes well with Rava Upma and Seasoned Poha too!