Ganike Soppu, also known as Kage Soppu in Kannada, is a medicinal plant which is not familiar to many people. Scientific name for this plant is Solanum Nigrum (Black Nightshade). Leaves of this plant are used as a good remedy for cold, cough, mouth ulcer and stomach related problems. Kids love to eat the small, black colored fruits of this plant.
I use Ganike soppu as medicine for my daughter whenever she gets cold. I will crush the leaves with little water, collect about 2 table spoons of extract, then mix it with sugar / jaggery and make her drink. This works really well for her. I have few Ganike Soppu plants in my backyard just for kiddo. She loves to pick and eat those small berries from these plants daily!
Few days back, I was talking to Mom something about my plants. She told me that delicious Chutney can be prepared using Ganike leaves. I just tried her recipe and it tasted really well. Its so easy to prepare and also good for health.
Sharing the Ganike Soppina Chutney with you now..hope you like it!
Time required: 10 minutes
Servings: 6 - 7
Difficulty level: Easy
- Ganike / Kage leaves - handful (I have used 30 - 32 leaves here)
- Grated coconut - 1 1/4 cup
- For seasoning:
Oil - 3 tsp (divided)
Green chillies - 2 (adjust according to taste)
Cumin seeds - 1 1/4 tsp
Sesame seeds - 1 1/4 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Tamarind - gooseberry size (around 1 1/2 tbsp)
- Salt to taste
- Water for grinding
- Heat 1 1/2 tsp of oil in a heavy bottom pan. Add cumin seeds and sesame seeds and roast them till nice aroma comes.
- Then add the cleaned Ganike leaves. Saute them for 1 - 2 minutes till it changes the color and switch off the flame.
- Grind together the roasted ingredients along with grated coconut, tamarind and salt to taste into fine paste. Add water as required.
- Heat oil in a heavy pan. Add mustard seeds and when they start crackling, switch off the flame. Add this seasoning to the ground paste.
- Delicious Chutney is ready now. Serve it as a side dish with rice.
- Instead of 2 green chillies, 2 red chillies and 1 green chilli can be used here.
- If you don't want to preserve it in the refrigerator, heat the Chutney nicely and it will be good for few more hours.